Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Aker to join Magpie army

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Maj
Official Blogger
Maj

Aker to join Magpie army Empty
Post Aker to join Magpie army

On the eve of the Western Bulldogs third consecutive preliminary final Jason Akermanis is set to again steal his former club's moment in the spotlight. The timing of his book launch tomorrow is another blatant attempt to put himself before his former team. But is there still yet another exciting chapter added to the Aker story? Will the outspoken former Bulldog and Lion be a Magpie in 2011?

Tasmanian state league club Glenorchy are stepping up their chase for controversial former Brownlow Medallist & three time premiership player Jason Akermanis. The Magpies who crashed out of the Tasmanian State League finals this year bid farewell to club legend and former coach Ben Reid who finished up his career to be with his family.

The Magpies have also approached former Roos duo Glenn Archer and Corey Jones, though both have declined Glenorchy President Steve Allie's offer to coach the team in 2011. In their attempt Glenorchy has set up the a facebook page; “Get Aker At Glenorchy”

The site read “This is not 'pie in the sky' stuff - Akermanis has given Glenorchy positive indications and if the Club can come up with a package near his requirements he is likely to accept the offer.” The club has been seeking donations from supporters, businesses, and anyone to bring the star to Tasmania.

Glenorchy has a history of producing AFL and VFL players. Along with Aker's last AFL coach Rodney Eade, the club was home to Hawthorn great Peter Hudson, North Melbourne premiership player Darryl Sutton, Collingwood's Brodie Holland, three-club veteran Adrian Fletcher and recently have added to the Lions Ryan Harwood and Aaron Cornelius.

A number of Bulldogs players also started with Glenorchy, including Matthew Mansfield, Peter Street, Patrick Wiggins and Brodie Moles. If Aker signs with Glenorchy, he will be the first Brownlow Medallist to run around in the league since former Magpie star Albert Collier did more than 80 years ago.

Tasmania has seen many AFL players find a home in the league, Dale Weightman, David Rhys-Jones, Darren Kappler, Mark Browning, Steve Wright, Paul Hamilton, Wayne Weideman, and Peter Knights who coached Devonport as well.

Aker has said he wants to help out Tasmanian Football. Aker would be a week fly-in player as he still has radio commitments in Melbourne, but if he was to join the Magpies he would undoubtedly bring people throug the turnstiles. This year Tasmanian Football was shocked to learn that former Brisbane Bear and Sydney Swan star and similarly outspoken Warwick Capper had signed with Kermandie. Struggling for players, the hope was to get enough players there to save the 125 year old club.

Less than a week later Mark “Jacko” Jackson has pledged he would play in the Southern Football League for Kermandie, sadly the club was unable to compete in the 2010 season. Tasmanian Football is fighting for survival, having only just brought back the state league last season after 9 years.

Akermanis flew into Tasmania Tuesday to visit with Glenorchy after having breakfast with Glenorchy General Manage Jaimes Wiggins. "This (Glenorchy) is a professionally run club with a great playing surface (KGV Oval).

Tassie footy needs a lift, if I can be that person, than I am keen to see what i can do" Aker told Win Local News. Akermanis is keen to play every game next season with the Magpies, after previously stating he'd play only 9 games in 2011, if he did sign.

Aker's signing would be a massive boost to not only Glenorchy, but the Tasmanian State League which AFL Tasmania are hoping to have big crowds within the next 10 years. A decision will be made in December, Glenorchy are also seeking a coach with AFL experience and there has been no mention of whether or not Aker has been offered this role.

The TSL have only a few players with AFL experience right now, Cameron Thurley (Clarence), Luke Shackleton (Burnie), Ken Hall (North Hobart), Jessie Wells (North Hobart) but this signing could see more former AFL stars head down to Tassie to sign off their AFL career.
Back to top Go down
http://www.talkfooty.com.au
Share this post on: reddit

Aker to join Magpie army :: Comments

Maj
Re: Aker to join Magpie army
Post Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:46 am by Maj
Guys, could you pass along this link as well as click on it http://thebigtip.com.au/afl/aker-joining-magpie-army-could-strength-tasmanian-football 500 votes or more and I start to get paid for my work.
Pav
Post Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:06 pm by Pav
Sure... I'll start to spread it around...
Maj
Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:33 am by Maj
Thanks I meant 500 views, not votes, hahaha.
Pav
Post Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:39 am by Pav
Haha, I have started giving the link to people over msn. Smile
Pav
Post Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:12 pm by Pav
I have gotten about 20 people to look at it Razz
Pav
Post Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:21 pm by Pav
40 now Razz