Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Triumph and Tragedy of a Football Tragic

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Maj
Official Blogger
Maj

The Triumph and Tragedy of a Football Tragic Empty
PostThe Triumph and Tragedy of a Football Tragic

They say it's more than a game. For some that does ring true, it's a way of life, a religion, their whole life. For me it's a mixture of all of that, minus however that religious aspect. I was born in September 1984, that there was a clear indication that my pain in life was chosen for me.

In 1984 Collingwood made the finals, and eliminated both Fitzroy and the Blues from that seasons finals, but 3 days after my birth, the Bombers came a calling and knocked Collingwood out of the finals winning 28.6.174 to Collingwood 5.11.41. That same Saturday Clarence would win the TANFL Premiership beating Glenorchy 13.13.91 to Glenorchy 9.11.95.

Both sides would share a hostile feud that would see the Roos win premierships over the Pies, and for Glenorchy to claim back some pride in 1999 when they smashed them in the Qualifying Final, from there they claimed the 1999 flag, the first since the 1980s.

However last season Clarence and Glenorchy battled it out, on of all days September 19th it looked as if Glenorchy didn't come to play that day, but then the second half the Magpies almost stole the premiership but Jeromey Webberley would clinch Clarence a flag by a goal.

I am a sports tragic, but more so a football tragic I went to my first football game not even a year old in 1985, I have only ever seen 2 AFL games in person both of which saw Fitzroy play.

The ultimate triumph for me came just after my 6th birthday in 1990 Collingwood capturing their first flag in 32 years. The bitter reality of football came when Darren Millane was tragically killed in October 1991. Though what really hit home was passing their the funeral precision of former North Launceston premiership player Jamie Dennis who had succumbed to cancer.

Glenorchy had seen it's tragedies, the one I remember the most, was Timothy Carr, 19 years of age, a talented player in the Glenorchy colts being killed when his bike crashed. Glenorchy's last premiership came amidst of another tragedy, former player Nick Green, brother of a premiership player was killed in Milan, when he fall from an escalator.

Even the team I came to loathe have shared in their tragedies, players have drowned, David Wood in 1999 when for a big mark and broke his neck, he will never walk again. 2008 saw former Devil and South Launceston ruckman, who was playing for the Roos Matthew Westfield killed in a car accident.

My parents got me into following football, in fact my family have had their own involvement in football in this state, my mums relations played for Scottsdale, also cousins Michael & Andrew Suckling played for Sandy Bay and Glenorchy.

My dad played for Glenorchy, and his school, his uncle Lionel Churchill was a great of the Newtown Football Club, now known as Glenorchy. My football career came to an abrupt end.

I played for both Glenorchy District Junior Football Club, and Bowen Road Primary. 73 games of Junior football for Glenorchy, 13 junior games for Bowen Road, a captain of Glenorchy, a forward that has a 100 percent record in finals.

That being I played one final with the Under 15s and they won it, they went onto win the flag with only 15 players, I was given the chance to play when I was rested from my side who had too many players, the highlight came when a nice pass saw another player booted his first ever goal.

As a supporter now I love to write about the game, and hope that either of my sides Collingwood, or Glenorchy will break through for a premiership. From where I sit now, it does seem that Collingwood are much closer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.talkfooty.com.au
Share this post on: reddit

The Triumph and Tragedy of a Football Tragic :: Comments

Pav
Re: The Triumph and Tragedy of a Football Tragic
Post Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:03 pm by Pav
Collingwood will choke. Smile
Maj
Post Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:15 pm by Maj
That's not very nice, you are meant to be commenting on how lovely my article is.
Pav
Post Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:15 pm by Pav
It is a lovely article yes but they are gonna choke Razz
Maj
Post Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:17 pm by Maj
Hey where are Adelaide playing in September? Yeah, shut up. Razz

I wouldn't call us losing any final a choke, I mean if that was the case there would be many chokers in the AFL...like the Crows last season. Wink
Pav
Post Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:17 pm by Pav
Choke... Collingwood... Finals..
Maj
Post Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:18 pm by Maj
No, we "choke" in Grand Finals, duh.
Pav
Post Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:20 pm by Pav
Ahhhh at least you know young one.